These are not our paperwhites
You'd think we'd know better. We've been forcing paperwhite bulbs for years. But for the first time ever, we ruined them.
We had four batches going, but this year we forced them by setting them in pebbles in flea market bowls, rather than using them in bulb vases with water.
And over the weekend we noticed that the base of every single bulb was moldy. Yes, we'd read that you should not allow water to touch the base, only the roots. But heck, the bowls kept drying out, some of the bulbs weren't blooming, and obviously we went too far.
We don't have photos of our disastrous gardening endeavor. After our previous experience with mold exposure, those bulbs and pebbles were promptly taken out to the garbage, and the bowls were scrubbed with boiling water and soap. Again and again and again.
Oh well. We really enjoyed the spring-like flowers and their lovely scent while they lasted.